Friday, January 17, 2014

Altered box tutorial with Cheri Piles using the new collection Hello My Name Is collection by Teresa Collins

Hey everyone!! I am so excited to share this with you today!! This is a little project I made for the CHA booth using the new collection "Hello My Name Is".  I've had a lot of people ask me what my favorite of the new collections is and that's a hard one to answer because I LOVE them all for different reasons. 

This collection inspires me to share my story. This project I made is for my daughter to share her story, where she is now in life and I can't wait for her to write in it!!

FIRST, I want to share with you how I MADE this box into a book!!

ok, so I'll start from left to right - the first photo shows you that it is a craft colored, Graphic45 matchbook box. They come in three sizes and this is the middle sized one (8x8). The second photo shows the box that slides out and I cut the left side off!! Then I just cut the right side of the frame on the outer box which allowed it to open. NOW when you SCORE the left side you need to know that this will become your "SPINE", don't cut all of the way through as it will ruin it so go slooooooow and take your time. And last but not least create a template for your binding rings. I cut a strip the same height as the box and then folded it in half and used my cinch to create the holes where they needed to be. Then I spray painted it all in bright white. YOU could cover it in paper, mod podge it, what have you. Right now I'm just loving white paint on everything so there ya go! :)

So now you need to figure out how to fasten it closed. Starting from top left - I used one of the foam squares from the Teresa Collins Adhesive kits Those black foam squares are super dense so they are perfect for this!! So poke a hole where you want your "knob" add a foam square to one of the largest brads - by adding the foam square it will give the brad some height and because the legs of the brad are so long it will go through both the foam and the cover as shown in picture two (top right). Ok, so now you need to adhere your ribbon to the inside of the outer box line it up with your knob so it will close correctly. Then Adhere the smaller box on top of your ribbon lining up the top and bottom of the boxes evenly. Now when you close the book you can wrap the ribbon around your knob!

I loved the "words" paper so I cut strips and used them as my "staple" throughout this book. Have you seen the new photo overlays????? I love the sayings on them!! I added one of the new GEMS on the decorative tape. This page is actually 12" wide - I folded it to create a flap page!

This is the flap page. I cut a strip of journal cards and added them to the flap page by folding them then tied them together. So when untied, they fold out like an accordion. 

Here is the page all folded out - I used a photo on the back of the flap then added a journal card and ephemera piece on the side I am going to have her journal. 

This is one of the new 4 x 6 journal cards from the "love" paper - I love these!! I added some decorative tape to the left and a clear gem to the top center of it, So so simple!

Ok, at first glance you may not recognize ALL that you are looking at here so I'm going to point it out... That is a 5x7 photo overlay, but I ONLY had a 4x6 photo! Well, no  problem they don't have to be only for your photos. I added a piece of card stock to my page, added my photo then added my photo overlay. (sorry, It's hard to photograph them!)


This is the back page and I love all of the layers for journaling!!

I think this is my "FAVORITE" overlay!! ok, pun intended! Seriously though I do LOVE it!!!

I thought this was a fun page to share - the top paper is called "tags" and the bottom paper is called "Polaroids". Again - a great place to add more photos if you like or just use as journaling spots.

Here's another page with an accordion tag fold out tied with ribbon. I liked all of the layers in this book!! I hope you are as inspired as I am!!

When you are all done with your pages use your template from earlier to punch your pages. Add your cinch rings from the inside down on the right side of holes and up on the left, add your pages then pinch them together and your done!!

You can see here how the spine looks! So, go create one of your own! They are a fun to make and it's something you will treasure!!
~Cheri

3 comments:

  1. Lovely book! I really like it. The paper is gordeous! I look forward working with it :)
    I hope they take your project with them to Frankfurt! I will be there!
    Greetings Petra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Petra!! Yes, they have it and you will be able to see it in Germany!! Have a great time, I heard it is an AMAZING event!!!!

      Delete
  2. Love this book! I am looking forward to working with all of the new collections from TC. I can't decide which is my favorite either.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...